Associate Professor of History
Ancient India, Silk Road, and World History
University of Pennsylvania (PhD, 1985)
Office: Social Sciences 203
- The Silk Road in World History (Oxford University Press, 2010)
- Connections Across Eurasia: Transportation, Communication, and Cultural Exchange on the Silk Roads (Co-authored with Lynda Norene Shaffer, McGraw-Hill Higher Education, 2007).
- The Silk Road: Overland Trade and Cultural Interactions in Eurasia (American Historical Association, Essays on Global and Comparative History, 1998).
- Silk and Religion: an Exploration of Material Life and the Thought of People, AD 600-1200 (Oxford University Press, 1999).
- “Silks and Religions in Eurasia, c. A.D. 600-1200,” Journal of World History 6 (1995).
- “A Note on Buddhism and Urban Culture in Kushan, India,” Indian Economic and Social History Review 27 (1990).
- Ancient India and Ancient China: Trade and Religious Exchanges, AD 1-600 (Oxford University Press, 1988; reprinted 1994).